Education Equity Program Coordinator
L.A. Works, in partnership with Annenberg Foundation, is looking to recruit 3,000 volunteers to support Step Up Tutoring, a virtual support service that works in partnership with the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) to support children from under-resourced communities.
LAUSD, the second-largest school district in the nation, is seeing students of color and students from low-income households trailing white and Asian-American students in meeting California’s reading and math standards. During the pandemic, this achievement gap has only grown. Because we know that mentoring and tutoring provide an important opportunity for students who are struggling to catch up to their peers, L.A. Works is looking to leverage our relationships, expertise, and reach to focus significant volunteer power towards combating this critical issue.
If you believe you have the capacity to build a strong volunteer recruitment system, this position is for you! The right person for this role will offer up creative ideas without awaiting instructions and isn’t afraid of cold outreach. Any previous experience with volunteer recruitment and outreach efforts is excellent, but not required. We need someone who believes they can accomplish our lofty goal and has a passion for lifting up our education system here in Los Angeles.
The Education Equity Program Coordinator will be tasked to work collaboratively with nonprofit partners like Step Up Tutoring to build and support their volunteer tutoring base. This is a one-year grant funded position with the possibility for renewal upon meeting aggressive recruitment targets of 3,000 volunteers.
Essential Job Functions
The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all roles listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
Collaborate with others and work with volunteers to:
- Recruit 3,000 volunteers annually for virtual tutoring of LAUSD students via L.A. Works database and community partnerships
- Recruit volunteers via custom opportunities for Annenberg Tech companies
- Manage AmeriCorps VISTA member to build volunteer infrastructure for this program
- Coordinate with other internal L.A. Works programs to meet educational volunteer recruitment goals
- Help walk volunteers through the background check process and respond to general volunteer questions about the program
- Match to Step Up Tutoring, our priority partner organization for virtual opportunities, for orientation and placement
- Match to additional organizations like School on Wheels, Reading Partners, and Imagine LA for in-person tutoring and mentoring opportunities
- Work with the Step Up Tutoring orientation specialist to follow up with individuals who have expressed interest but not yet gone through the full orientation process
- Experience in program management and supervision with a proven track record of skillfully recruiting volunteers is helpful but not a requirement
- Experience designing new recruitment systems
- Have formal or informal training with community organizing
- Comfortable being in an external facing role and building relationships
- The ability to generate enthusiasm for new ideas and opportunities without having to know all the answers (but are invited and encouraged to ask all the questions)
- Experience with (or can quickly adopt) tech and social media platforms like Facebook Groups, Zoom, Google Drive, and Salesforce
- Meet baseline responsibilities and requirements within a set schedule
- Valid driver's license and access to personal car for occasional travel throughout Los Angeles County
- Some evening and weekend commitments
- Initiate NSWOP and criminal history check prior to hire
- Demonstrated Mac computer and program skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce (or equivalent) database management, presentations, mail merge, and digital/social media; and
- Work collaboratively to support L.A. Works programming across all departments
L.A. Works strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive Los Angeles. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Reporting: This position reports to the VP of Marketing / Director of Programs.
Time expectations and salary: This is a full-time, temporary (12 month) grant funded position with the possibility for continuation with additional funding. Targeted Hiring Salary: $50,000. Salary commensurate with experience and internal equity. L.A. Works offers a competitive benefit package including health insurance, professional development opportunities, a non-match 401k, and generous time-off. The job description doesn't constitute a contract of employment and L.A. Works may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
To apply: If this sounds like the kind of job you’d look forward to, please submit a cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to email@example.com.