Digital Marketing Consultant
L.A. Works volunteers are changemakers, giving their time and resources to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations across LA in order to uplift the entire community. After the devastating pandemic and its consequences disproportionately impacting our communities of color, we are investing significant volunteer power to combat the critical issues that have surfaced – through volunteer acts of service as well as advocacy.
As the largest and longest running volunteer action center in Los Angeles, we have high web traffic volume and brand awareness. We are seeking a Digital Marketing Consultant to optimize our website, through design and analytics, to convert website visitors to active volunteers. Using this understanding of volunteer behaviors, the Digital Marketing Consultant will also develop the content and implement mixed media advertising campaigns for all major platforms to increase volunteer signup rates. This role will report to the Communications Manager and work side-by-side with the Social Media Associate to identify and develop creative for elevating the L.A. Works brand.
L.A. Works strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive Los Angeles. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
The overarching objective of this role is to contribute to increasing volunteer signups at least 25% by:
- Creating and executing ideas to improve the user experience on the L.A. Works website;
- Developing compelling graphic design as well securing external designers/photographers as needed to leverage quality photos, video content, and other content to be used in website and advertising outreach (i.e. Google ads, flyers, email newsletters, promotions, and social media accounts);
- Utilizing existing and identify new channels to maximize ad spend; and
- Creating and maintaining analytics reporting; extracting key insights to improve program performance and make recommendations for future campaign development.
Experience and Skills
The successful consultant will possess:
- At least 3-5 years of digital marketing experience, with a demonstrated understanding of how to inspire and encourage action and community engagement.
- At least 3-5 years of graphic design experience, with expertise in organizing a cohesive brand aesthetic and instinct for when something feels “on-brand.”
- Expertise in improving user experience (UX) in relation to website development and optimization.
- Fluency in HTML; Drupal and Salesforce language/visual force a plus.
- Committed to work focused on community-building, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Collaborative work style, with the ability to take feedback/edits well and incorporate them in updates.
- A spirit of experimentation: the successful consultant would rather try and be wrong than not try at all.
L.A. Works is seeking an independent contractor and as such, the successful consultant and L.A. Works agree that:
- Consultant is not an employee of L.A. Works.
- L. A. Works shall not exercise control or direction as to the means and methods for accomplishing the results of the services.
- Consultant is free to accept other business so long as it does not interfere with obligations agreed upon at time of engagement.
- Because this business relationship is that of independent contractor, there is no entitlement to benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, retirement, or unemployment insurance. No deductions for taxes or insurance will be made.
- Consultant will meet with Communications Manager on a regular schedule and provide bi-weekly reports.
The anticipated contract will be for approximately 20-30 hours/week: up to $4,000/month* for up to 12 months. (Note: Any printing/promotional item expenses will be agreed upon in advance and will be in addition to this budget and reimbursed as an out-of-pocket expense.)
To apply: If this consulting opportunity is of interest to you, please send a PDF that includes a brief cover letter explaining why you are strong candidate for this work along with your resume or portfolio/examples of relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.