What: Swimming with special needs youth
KEEN (Kids Enjoy Exercise Now) is a nonprofit organization that provides one-to-one recreational opportunities for children and young adults with mental and physical disabilities. KEEN L.A.’s mission is to foster the self-esteem, confidence, skills and talents of its athletes through non-competitive activities.
Volunteer Project: Get your swim on! Work with KEEN athletes between the ages of 3 and 18 as a swimming coach. The youth will be divided up by age groups, ages 3-11 and ages 12-18. Athletes ages 3-11 will have a swim session from 10AM - 11AM, and athletes ages 12-18 will follow from 11AM - 12PM.
Volunteer Role & Responsibilities: L.A. Works volunteers get matched with KEEN athletes to help with swimming sessions designed to promote the athlete's sense of accomplishment. Bring some encouragement and positivity to these youth and show them a fun time!
- Ability to swim
- Volunteer coaches do not need any prior experience working with disabled individuals
- Patience and kind-heartedness
- Arrive at 9:15AM with your swimsuit for an orientation
Accessibility: L.A. Works firmly believes that we strengthen the social fabric of our community by involving all in service. If you feel you need accommodations to participate in this project please email us at email@example.com.
Questions? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
If you would like to volunteer for this opportunity, please click on the SIGN UP button.
*This project is managed by L.A. Works for our nonprofit partner and is led by an L.A. Works Volunteer Project Leader. L.A. Works is a nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Sports & Recreation, Health & Wellness
- Population Served: Families, People with Disabilities
- Activity Type: Caring for People,Mentoring/Youth Development,Sports & Recreation
- Age Minimum (with Adult):15+, Minimum Age:15+
Additional Dates for this Event
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: