Quick Overview: Our volunteer opportunities offer individuals the ability to gain hands-on, practical experience working directly with clients on a number of different legal issues.
Organization Name and Website: Bet Tzedek Legal Services, http://www.bettzedek.org
Mission or Broader Program Description: Bet Tzedek sets the standard for innovation in public interest law and is one of the top legal agencies in the country providing both direct services and impact litigation assistance to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable populations. Bet Tzedek’s pioneering projects combine direct legal representation with powerful outreach, education, and legislative advocacy. Our leadership is a dynamic coalition between the public, private and non-profit sectors delivering innovative approaches to address root causes of poverty and exploitation. Our legal expertise and capacity to effect positive, sustainable social change continues to garner national attention.
Funded initially through a generous grant from the State Bar of California, the Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic assists self-represented litigants with the process of filing and securing probate conservatorship over aging or developmentally disabled adult incapable of providing for his or her own care. In partnership with Los Angeles court, Bet Tzedek began operating the Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic in 2007 at the Self-Fel Resource Center in the Los Angeles Superior Central Courthouse. In the first year fo the clinic, 478 litigants were served. Presently, the Clinic serves well over 1,000 new pro per litigants each year and is responsible for nearly 70%of all probate conservatorship filings in Los Angeles County.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Bet Tzedek staff, individuals will:
- Help conduct litigant intakes
- Gain experience preparing Judicial Council court forms
- Review court forms with litigants
- Gain experience with the procedural aspects of conservatorship matters
- Help pro per litigants access, prepare and file Judicial Council forms for probate conservatorship.
- Commitment to public interest/service and empathy for elderly, disabled, and low-income populations.
- Detail-oriented in addition to excellent communication skills.
- Spanish/English Bilingual applicants needed and preferred.
CLINIC LOCATIONS (Note: Volunteers may sign up for as many, or few, clinics as they'd like)
- LA Law Library: 301 W. 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Monday/Thursday mornings)
- Norwalk Regional Library: 12350 Imperial Highway, Norwalk, CA 90650 (Tuesday mornings)
- Long Beach Courthouse: 275 Magnolia Ave, Rm 3101, Long Beach, CA 90802 (Friday mornings)
- Lancaster Regional Library: 601 West Lancaster Blvd, Lancaster, CA 93534 (one full Friday per month)
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Pro-Bono, Civic & Community
- Population Served: Families, Homeless, Low-income Communities, People with Disabilities, LGBT (Lesbian, Gay,Bisexual,Transgender)
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 55+, Minimum Age:55+
Additional Dates for this Event
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: