Project Description: Become a kid again, using your spirit to inspire first graders to start a lifelong love of reading! Assist students at an elementary school (LA Unified School District) to improve overall reading ability, expand vocabulary, build self-confidence, and broaden their perception of their own potential.
Ready to Learn is a program of NextLA. NextLA is a nonprofit organization offering professional development, community engagement and network building opportunities for LA’s emerging professionals, ages 21-40. Learn more at NextLA.com.
Volunteer Role & Responsibilities: Volunteers work directly with the children either one-on-one or in small groups. Listen to children read, assist them as necessary, and document the number of books and pages read. Each session also includes a super fun art project. No teaching or art experience is necessary.
Time Commitment: 9:45AM-1:00PM one Saturday per month. We encourage you to join as often as possible to build a stronger bond with the students.
- All volunteers on the premises must clear a background check. The background check provided by Verified Volunteers costs $23. Please allow up to one week for processing. We will inform you of your status upon completion of the screening process. Background checks are valid indefinitely.
- All volunteers must register with L.A. Works, if they are not already.
- Volunteers 13 years and under must be accompanied by an adult and the adult volunteer must complete a background check prior to attending.
How to Apply:
- Register for your LA Works account
- On LA Works website click "Express Interest" button for each Ready to Learn session date you are interested in
- Complete your background check through Verified Volunteers (email invitation will be sent once you express interest in a session)
- Wait for email confirming your background check has cleared prior to attending your upcoming RTL session
**For any questions about the application process or volunteering with Ready to Learn please contact Karin Brummell at email@example.com
Note: Your spot on our volunteer roster is pending background check approval (including payment)
- Feel like a KID again!!
- Assist at an elementary school that serves a predominantly minority and economically disadvantaged student body
- Improve language skills for many children who are learning English as a second language
- Boost a child’s self-esteem and educational future with a small time commitment
- Discover or revisit new and classic children’s books
- Meet a wonderful, diverse group of fellow volunteers
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Children & Youth Education
- Population Served: Families
- Activity Type: Tutoring,Caring for People,Mentoring/Youth Development
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 13+, Minimum Age:13+
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: