Quick Overview: We are an urban nature center looking for volunteers to help with field trips and educational programming. Volunteers will be supporting our Education Coordinator by leading basic educational activities - examples include reading a relevant book to the group, playing a nature related game, overseeing "scientific illustration," or leading a quick exploratory nature walk. No previous experience required - training will be provided prior to the volunteer's first event.
Mission or Broader Program Description: The mission of the Center is to inspire people to experience, understand and care for the local natural world. Our educational programming and field trips are an essential route through which to foster this connection to nature, specifically among youth. We hope to play a role in fostering an interest in nature among local youth, in order to build a generation of individuals committed to learning about nature and protecting our planet. We are especially committed to engaging youth who otherwise may not have the opportunity to experience and explore nature.
Impact: We are a small team, with one staff member coordinating and leading all of our educational experiences. We'll have as many as 60-70 students coming out for our field trips, so volunteers are essential in making these experiences happen and ensuring that they run smoothly. Volunteers will have a direct impact in regards to connecting youth with nature. Volunteers will definitely have opportunity to step up and take on leadership roles, if desired.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities: If interested in this opportunity, we will add you to our contact list and will be in touch (at least a couple weeks in advance) whenever field trips come up where we will need volunteer support. Commitment is flexible - you do not need to attend every field trip and are free to participate whenever your schedule allows. Most field trips are either a one-hour program, or a three-hour program. Volunteers may be leading a station on their own or in pairs, once comfortable, but they will always have the support of the Center staff and will never be leading an educational experience completely on their own. We are currently recruiting volunteers for two field trips taking place on Thursday, 5/23 and Thursday, 5/30 both from 10am-1pm.
- Age limit is 16 years or older.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 will need to bring and have signed by a parent/guardian a Volunteer Agreement & Release for Minors. The form can be found on L.A. Works website Q&A section.
- Availability during the week preferred but not required - most of our field trips do take place during the week, but there will ocassionally be Saturday opportunities as well.
- BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED prior to volunteering for your first event - we will provide you with a link to complete the background check online through our system, there is no cost involved.
- No previous experience required, however volunteers must have an interest in working with youth and engaging them through environmental education.
- All materials needed will be provided.
- Parking is available onsite - if the lot is full, please park along Griffin Ave. and it is just a quick walk up to the Center.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions/concerns.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Children & Youth Education
Additional Dates for this Event
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: