Organization Name & Website: Little Tokyo Service Center at www.ltsc.org
Quick Overview: Make a meaningful difference in a child's life by volunteering your time with the Little Tokyo Service Center's Summer Program for underserved youth! Our Summer Program runs from July 8th to August 8th, Monday through Thursday, from 1 PM to 5:30 PM. Your role as a mentor will empower youth to reach their personal and academic goals to become college-bound community leaders.
Mission or Broader Program Description: Mission: The Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing a comprehensive array of social welfare and community development services to assist low income individuals and other persons in need, and to contribute to community revitalization and cultural preservation in Little Tokyo. We provide our Summer Program at subsidized costs to our low-income families and we rely on volunteers to keep our program running!
Activities can include: storytelling, arts & crafts, music, nutrition, talent shows, dance competitions, science experiments, sports, board games, field trips and more!
Impact: Youth in under-served communities have greater susceptibility to poor academic performance, social withdrawal, and delinquency. The Summer Program provides a safe space for youth to expand their opportunities, build their confidence, develop lifelong friendships, and to become future civic-minded leaders.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities:
- Engaging with youth & tracking participation during club activities.
- Planning and facilitating activities and workshops to encourage socio-emotional learning, creativity, critical-thinking, problem-solving, & a healthy lifestyle.
- Outreaching to families and youth for Summer Program announcements.
- Supervise youth to maintain their physical and mental wellbeing during activities and outings.
- Experience or would like to work with youth ages 6 to 17.
- Initiative in leading group activities.
- Creativity & Teamwork.
- Talents or hobbies to share.
- Basic Math & English ability.
- Bilingual is a plus, but not required.
- Volunteers 18 years are older will need a DOJ background check, LTSC can reimburse for the cost.
- LTSC volunteer application and orientation.
Time Commitment: Monday through Thursday, 1 PM to 5:30 PM. It is not required to commit to the full 5 weeks, but we are looking for volunteers who will be available at least 2 to 3 weeks during the program. We can coordinate with your schedule for volunteer availability.
Additional Details: Street parking is available on-site. A background check is required for volunteers 18 years and older due to direct contact with youth populations. Staff will be present to offer support. High school students and seniors are welcomed to apply!
Optional items to consider
Professional Experience: This role will be a great opportunity for anyone interested in social work, youth development, academic enrichment, program coordination, workshop facilitation, applied arts, non-profits and community engagement.
If you would like to get involved, please contact the volunteer coordinator Michelle Wong directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Children & Youth Education
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: