Quick Overview: Every year, Self Help Graphics & Art (SHG) hosts Dia de los Muertos Community Art Workshops to create Day of the Dead related arts and crafts with the community, leading up to our main Dia de los Muertos Celebration on November 2nd.
Mission or Broader Program Description: Founded in 1970 as "Art, Inc.", but incorporated as a non-profit organization in 1973 as "Self Help Graphics & Art" (SHG), SHG is dedicated to the production, interpretation and distribution of prints and other art media by Chicana/o and Latinx artists. Our multidisciplinary and intergenerational programs promote artistic excellence and empower our community by providing access to space, tools, training and capital.
Impact: As a volunteer, your contributions help us provide Dia de los Muertos workshops that are culturally relevant, family friendly, and free for the community. All crafts created in these workshops will be used in events leading up to our Main Dia de los Muertos Celebration.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities: Held every Saturday in October, the Community Art Workshops offer hands-on activities and instruction in flores de papel (paper flowers), papel picado, and mask making, as well as the life-size, papier mache Calaveras customary to our main Dia de los Muertos Celebration. The calaveras and other works created are always an indispensable part of our décor for the big celebration, and our artist instructors need assistance in order to make these workshops enjoyable for everyone involved.
- All volunteers must be at least 14 years of age (must be accompanied by a guardian if younger).
- All shifts are atleast 3 hours. You must commit to staying for the duration of your shift.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 will need to bring and have signed by a parent/guardian a Volunteer Agreement & Release for Minors. The form can be found on L.A. Works website Q&A section.
Accessibility: Self Help Graphics & Art is ADA accessible. Hablamos Español (Spanish Speakers available if needed).
- Organization Name: Self Help Graphics & Art
- Organization Url: http://selfhelpgraphics.com
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Arts & Culture
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: