Title: Tutor and Mentor Low-Income Children
Quick Overview: Make a meaningful difference in a child's life by volunteering your time with the Little Tokyo Service Center's After School Program (ASP) for underserved youths! Volunteers create a pathway to college and civic engagement by providing academic enrichment and activities geared towards our youth's social emotional learning.
Organization Name & Website: Little Tokyo Service Center at www.ltsc.org
Mission: The mission of Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) is to provide a comprehensive array of social welfare and community development services to assist low income individuals and other persons in need, and to contribute to community revitalization and cultural preservation in Little Tokyo.
Impact: Your role as a mentor and tutor will empower low-income youth by helping them to reach their personal and academic goals towards becoming college-bound community leaders. We provide our After School Program as a safe gathering space for youth to develop socio-emotional learning through homework help and extracurricular activities away from the influence of gang recruitment. We offer our services at no cost to families and we rely on volunteers to keep our program running! In 2018, 62% of our youths participating in the ASP saw an improvement in their academic performance. In 2019, 9 of our teens who've participated in the youth program are the 1st generation in their families to attend colleges and universities.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities:
- Tutoring youths ages 6 to 17 in our after school program.
- Providing teens direct assistance on college applications, FAFSA, personal statements, etc.
- Facilitating workshops for college-readiness, social discussions, and/or community planning.
- Coordinating and supervision chilren during outings and activities.
We are looking for individuals who have:
- Experience or would like to work with youth ages 6-17 years old
- Basic Math & English
- Bilingual is a plus, but not required
Time and Dates: Mondays and Thursdays, 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM.
Additional Details: Street parking is available. A livescan background check is required for volunteers 18 years of age and older; LTSC will reimburse for the cost.
If you would like to get involved, please directly contact the Little Tokyo Service Center's Resident Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Organization Name: Little Tokyo Service Center
- Organization Url: http://www.ltsc.org
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Children & Youth Education
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: