Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
⚙ Teach Guitar to At-Risk Youth at Hathaway Sycamore (MUSICWORKS)
WHAT: Help at-risk youth learn to play the guitar!
ABOUT HATHAWAY-SYCAMORES: Hathaway-Sycamores Child & Family Services cultivates hope and resilience to enrich the well-being of children, adults, families, and communities. We will be helping foster positive mentorships with a focus on learning and anti-bullying, by teaching at-risk youth to play & write music on the guitar. https://www.hathaway-sycamores.org/
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES: Volunteers assist the Project Leader in teaching guitar to kids aged 10-16 (at various skill levels) with one-on-one instructions to better tailor their learning process.
IMPACT: Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services is a highly respected mental health and welfare agency with 10 locations throughout Southern California. For over 118 years, Hathaway-Sycamores has been investing in people. We provide innovative and effective programs and services through a network of locations stretching across Los Angeles and the San Fernando, San Gabriel, and Antelope Valleys for children, youth, young adults, and families facing serious life challenges.
- Volunteers need to have a basic understanding of chords and strumming, but there is no need for any prior teaching experience. Most of the kids are just starting out, and we will match volunteers with the appropriate skill levels.
- If you plan to volunteer for more than 3 sessions, volunteers must pass Hathaway Sycamore's free background check.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Each session lasts 1-hour, but we ask that volunteers show up early to help set up and stick around after to help clean up.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries, no physical contact
- Provide a listening ear instead of advice
- No smoking/vaping
- Respect privacy by taking no photos
- Model commitment; volunteers are encouraged to commit to all or multiple sessions in order to create consistency for kids, but we are absolutely happy to accept one-time volunteers as well!
- Most importantly - have FUN!
ACCESSIBILITY: L.A. Works firmly believes that we strengthen the social fabric of our community by involving all in service. If you feel you need accommodation to participate in this project please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
QUESTIONS? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
WANT TO SIGN UP? Select the date you want below and click the Sign Up button!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: