WHAT: Help at-risk youth learn to play the guitar!
PROGRAM MISSION: Hathaway-Sycamores Child & Family Services cultivates hope and resilience to enrich the well-being of children, adults, families, and communities. We will be helping foster positive mentorships with a focus on learning and anti-bullying, by teaching at-risk youth to play & write music on the guitar.
VOLUNTEER ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Volunteers assist the Project Leader in teaching guitar to kids aged 10-16 (at various skill levels) with one-on-one instructions to better tailor their learning process.
- Each session lasts 1-hour, but we ask that volunteers show up early to help set up and stick around after to help clean up.
- Volunteers are encouraged to commit to all or multiple sessions in order to create consistency for kids, but we are absolutely happy to accept one-time volunteers as well!
- Volunteers need to have a basic understanding of chords and strumming, but there is no need for any prior teaching experience. Most of the kids are just starting out, and we will match volunteers with the appropriate skill levels.
- If you plan to volunteer for more than 3 sessions, volunteers must pass Hathaway Sycamore's free background check.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries, no physical contact
- Provide a listening ear instead of advice
- Leave your smokes and vapes at home
- Respect privacy by taking no photos
- Model commitment
- Most importantly - have FUN!
HAVE QUESTIONS? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
- Organization Name: Hathaway Sycamores Child and Family Agency
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Arts & Culture, Children & Youth Education
- Population Served: Low-income Communities, Other
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: