What: Help Step Up residents plant, care for, and eat edible gardens
Step Up is a non-profit that provides permanent supportive housing to recently homeless adults, using the "Housing First" model.
Volunteer Project: Every second Saturday of the month, come have fun gardening with the resident Veterans. Volunteers assist Step Up residents in maintaining the edible gardens, planting seeds, building planters, weeding, harvesting, and maybe even playing some bocci ball.
Impact: This project helps residents gain a sense of ownership and investment, learn practical new skills, and provide opportunities for companionship and communication skills improvement.
Additional Details: Since residents are adjusting from homelessness and/or mental illness, some good practices are:
- to provide a listening ear instead of advice
- to respect their privacy by refraining from photos
- maintaining appropriate boundaries
- most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Age Requirement: 18 and older.
Accessibility: L.A. Works firmly believes that we strengthen the social fabric of our community by involving all in service. If you feel you need accommodations to participate in this project please email us at email@example.com.
Questions? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
If you would like to volunteer for this opportunity, please click on the SIGN UP button.
*This project is managed by L.A. Works for our nonprofit partner and is led by an L.A. Works Volunteer Project Leader. L.A. Works is a nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
- Organization Name: Step Up On Second, Inc.
- Organization Url: http://www.stepuponsecond.org
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Environment, Hunger & Homelessness
- Population Served: Homeless, Military/Veterans
- Activity Type: Gardening/Planting,Caring for People
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: