Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
⚙ TAKE ACTION: Homeless Advocacy Bootcamp
WHAT: Don't just talk about change - make a change. Learn about an issue related to homelessness and then complete an advocacy skill to address it.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATIONS: L.A. Works, Councilmember David Ryu, and United Way's Everyone In have come together to provide a volunteer opportunity that arms you to combat homelessness in an active way.
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES: Each session consists of (1) an educational portion and (2) an advocacy action.
(1) Education. Guest experts will speak on a critical issue related to the homeless crisis such as:
- Specific housing proposals in your area
- The difference between affordable, bridge, and permanent supportive housing
- What the city can do vs what the state can do
- Current bills that will impact homelessness
(2) Advocacy Action Completion. You will learn and finish an advocacy action such as:
- Writing an op-ed piece
- Getting on the agenda to speak at your neighborhood council
- Planning an awareness-raising dinner party
- Registering to vote
- Participating in the annual homeless count
IMPACT: Over 36,000 of our fellow Angelenos are experiencing homelessness, a 16% increase from last year. This opportunity will teach you how to be part of the solution.
REQUIREMENTS: Volunteers under 18 must fill out the Volunteer Agreement & Release for Minors.
ACCESSIBILITY: L.A. Works firmly believes that we strengthen the social fabric of our community by involving all in service. If you feel you need accommodations to participate in this project please email us at email@example.com.
QUESTIONS? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
WANT TO SIGN UP? Select the date you want below and click the Sign Up button!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: