Quick Overview: The AmeriCorps STEM Expert Tutor program will focus on improving math and science literacy for low-income high school students in Los Angeles county. Our tutors will work in five high-needs AmeriCorps member placement sites located in Huntington Park, South Central/Watts, and Boyle Heights.
Mission or Broader Program Description: We have bridged EnCorps STEM Teacher program and California Volunteers' AmeriCorps to create AmeriCorps STEM Expert Tutors. The AmeriCorps STEM Expert Tutors program focuses on improving math and science literacy for low-income high school students in Los Angeles County; our five AmeriCorps member partner school sites are located in Huntington Park, South Central/Watts, and Boyle Heights.
Many Los Angeles County high school students are not meeting proficiency standards in math and science subjects. Low STEM literacy limits students' opportunities to pursue college and careers in the 21st century. Our mission is to empower all students through equitable learning opportunities with our STEM expert tutors.
Impact: Low STEM literacy limits students' opportunities to pursue college and careers in the 21st century. Our mission is to empower all students through equitable learning opportunities with our STEM expert tutors. Our measurable goal will be to improve ACT and SAT scores by 15%.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities: As a STEM Expert tutor, you will offer your STEM expertise to help increase the comprehension of math and science concepts for students in grades 9-12. You will collaborate with the school staff and other AmeriCorps members at your Program Partner Site. We are searching for experts in STEM to support our mission to provide engaging and equitable math and science learning opportunities for under-resourced high-school students in Los Angeles County. Your goal is to create an environment that will enrich the lives of the students we are serving by providing engaging and supportive content. EnCorps’ AmeriCorps will provide you with valuable assistance and support, enabling you to:
- Work directly with high school students, to increase their math and science literacy skills
- Gain pedagogical and instructional tutoring knowledge via AmeriCorps member development opportunities
- BA or Graduate degree; preferably in a STEM-related field
- Must be a U.S Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident
- Possess a flexible and creative personality!
- Complete a service year of 450 or 900-hours
- Complete an average of 12-25 hours per week of service
- Service hours are Monday-Friday 2:00 – 6:00 pm* *Occasional Saturdays may be required.
- Complete 2 National AmeriCorps Service Days
- Service Term is from November 2019-July 2020
- Extensive Professional Development
- Modest Bi-Weekly Living Allowance ($4,000 for 900-hour service term/$2,000 for 450-hour service term)
- Education Award to be used towards student loans, advanced degree, or any other educational experience ($3,047.50 for 900-hour service term/$1,638.89 for 450-hour service term)
- Eligible student loan forgiveness
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Children & Youth Education
Additional Dates for this Event
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: