Ready to make a difference in the life of a child in Koreatown?
Quick Overview: Volunteering with children can be one of the most rewarding and meaningful experiences in life! Help K-12th grade students complete their homework, guide them through projects and activities, support the instructors overall classroom management, and provide general administrative support to the afterschool program.
Mission or Broader Program Description: The Koreatown Youth and Community Center was established in 1975 to support a growing population of at-risk youth in Los Angeles. Today, KYCC is the leading multiservice organization in Koreatown, supporting children and their families in the areas of education, health, housing, and finances. Most of the clients served are first generation immigrants from Asia and Latin America. Committed to serving the diverse population of Koreatown, we offer all programs in Spanish, Korean and English.
Impact: Research has shown that every child is just one caring adult away from being a success story. KYCC’s K-12 youth programs serve 500 children a year, so your time and energy can mean that one more child will have a better chance in life with just a few hours a week. We’ve found that our volunteers get just as much, if not more out of building this relationship with kids who would thrive with just a little more attention.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities: In addition to the description above, for those who are more experienced or who would like to learn, opportunities are also available to create and develop curricula, lead activities, or intern to get a deeper dive into working with youth and afterschool programs.
- Must be at least in 9th grade or above. High school participants will also have to complete an application and interview prior to start.
- As with any youth program, adult volunteers are asked to participate in an interview, and background check (paid and arranged by KYCC) and submit proof of TB test from within the past year. If proof of TB is not available, this can be easily completed at your KYCC orientation free of charge.
- Must commit to a minimum of four hours a week and a six month term.
- * Volunteers under the age of 18 will need to bring and have signed by a parent/guardian a Volunteer Agreement & Release for Minors. The form can be found on L.A. Works website Q&A section.
Additional Details: Generally speaking, KYCC youth programs operate Monday-Friday from 3:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M. A full listing of KYCC volunteer opportunities are also available here.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: