WHAT: Sew protective face masks for those who need them most - medical workers, the elderly, and more.
THE NEED: Health care workers are dangerously low on masks. Some are being given one mask to use indefinitely on multiple patients, despite the FDA’s recommendation that masks should not be shared. Our critical infrastructure workers and caregivers need proper protection as well.
WHAT YOU'LL DO: Sew, sew, and sew! After you click the EXPRESS INTEREST button below, we will follow up with patterns, hygiene protocol, and mailing instructions.
- provide your own supplies (fabric, thread, elastic/hair ties, tools)
- be able to launder you masks before mailing
- be able to mail your masks to the recipients (or use a delivery service such as TaskRabbit)
Please DO NOT volunteer for this project if-
- you have felt ill in the past 2 weeks
- you have been in contact with anyone who felt ill in the past 2 weeks
I can sew but I don't have the supllies to make masks. Can you provide the suplies?
At this time, we cannot provide donated supplies for mask making. You must be able to provide them, purchase them, or re-purpose non-stretch, tight-woven fabrics in your home.
I would like to receive masks. How can I sign up?
Please go to laworks.com/mask-request.
Do cloth masks work?
Yes - they catch >50% of pathogens, which is better than nothing. Read more.
What are the best materials for making DIY masks?
Muslin and non-woven cotton. Read more.
What does the CDC say about homemade masks?
While included in their Crisis Capacity Strategies section, they're not a suitable substitute for medical grade N95 masks. However, "in settings where facemasks are not available, Health Care Professionals (HCP) might use homemade masks for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered Personal Protective Gear (PPE), since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option."
MORE QUESTIONS? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
WANT TO SIGN UP? Click on the EXPRESS INTEREST button below.
Join in the #MILLIONMASKCHALLENGE!
- Organization Name: L.A. Works
- Organization Url: http://www.laworks.com
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Health & Wellness
- Population Served: People with Health-Based Concerns
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:14+
Additional Dates for this Event
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: