Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
⚙ Climate Change Advocacy Bootcamp
WHO: L.A. Works and environmental experts have come together to provide a virtual volunteer opportunity that arms you with the knowledge and tools to actively address issues facing our environment today, both locally and globally.
WHY: We're learning a lot right now about how humans (and their absence) affect the environment, so this may be critical time for environmental advocates. This opportunity will teach you how to be part of the solution.
The VOLUNTEER PROJECT: In this limited bi-weekly series, each session consists of (1) educational and (2) action.
(1) Education. Guest experts will speak on a critical issue related to the environment:
- (7/25) Topic – We’re all in this together: Global actions impacting climate change.
Special guest speaker – Craig Ebert, President of the Climate Action Reserve
- (8/8) Topic – California greenhouse emission goals and how to get there.
Special guest speakers – Walker Wells, Principal at Raimi + Associates/Lecturer UCLA
- (8/22) Topic - Policy is key: Current bills that could impact climate change.
Special guest speaker – Bill Magavern, Policy Director at Coalition for Clean Air
- (9/5) Topic - Rethinking renewables: The role of biomethane, hydrogen and other energies in meeting CA’s climate.
Special guest speakers - Sam Wade, Director of State Regulatory Affairs, Renewable Natural Gas Coalition and Julia Levin, Executive Director of Bioenergy Association of California
- (9/19) Topic - Climate gap: the disproportionate impact of climate change on communities of color and low income communities.
Special guest speaker – Sofia Ratcovich, climate activist and Founder of Zero Waste Company
- A two-minute pitch/rap
- Phone banking
- Implementing a social media campaign
- Writing op-eds
- Organizing an awareness-raising dinner party (virtual or in person)
QUESTIONS? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
WANT TO SIGN UP? Select the date you want below and click the Sign Up button!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: