Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Help guide at-risk middle school students - all from the comfort of YOUR home!
Who are we? The mission of Los Angeles Team Mentoring is to guide at-risk middle school students to realize their full potential as members of our community. Through a unique team approach to mentoring, both virtually and in-person, young adolescents are given the tools and support necessary to make positive choices during this critical period in their lives. This posting is for both our e-Works and our GRYD program and will be taking place ONLINE only.
- e-Works is an afterschool program that meets once a week for one hour. Our program focuses on socioemotional learning and covers topics such as leadership, teambuilding, goal-setting, and communication.
- GRYD, Gang Youth Reduction and Development, is an initiative supported by the City of Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of gang reduction and its efforts are to reduce gang related violence and strengthen individuals, families and communities.
How can YOU help?: Our team-based mentoring model gives you the chance to impact the lives of 12-15 students with the support of another adult mentor. As a mentor you will work with our kids to complete the activities in the provided curriculum and discuss the valuable life lessons learned from the tasks. Examples of these activities include topics in career readiness, self-esteem and confidence building, maintaining healthy relationships, and resolving conflicts/ disagreements. The ideal volunteer mentor will have excellent presentation, project and volunteer management, leadership and conflict management, team-working, organizational, computer and oral and written communication skills. Bilingual in Spanish and English, experience working with high-risk youth and diverse volunteers preferred. Oh, did we mention this is all done from the comfort of your home or office? All meetings with our kids will be done online through our mentor portal. All you need is a device with a camera and internet access!
What perks do we offer?: Not only will you be able to make a difference with our kids, you will also have the chance to build your resume and gain real- world experience. You will be able to network with other mentors that are professionals in a variety of fields. LATM will happily write you a letter of recommendation upon request. This will be a GREAT opportunity if you are looking to be in the education, psychology, sociology, social work or child development field. What will YOUR impact be?: This will be the first year we launch our e-mentoring program. Our kids need positive role models now more than ever, and you can be part of this historic move! Despite not being a tutoring program, our mentored youth are more likely to graduate from high school, go to college, and receive higher grades compared to non-mentored youth. An hour of your time once a week can make all the difference!
The is a weekly commitment on a scheduled day and time. Sessions are approximately an hour long. Our program year works with the academic calendar and will finish in June 2021. The following time slots are available:
- 2:30 - 3:30 PM (1 SPOT AVAILABLE)
- 3:35 - 4:35 PM (2 SPOTS AVAILABLE)
- 4:40 - 5:40 PM (2 SPOTS AVAILABLE)
- 3:35 - 4:35 PM (2 SPOTS AVAILABLE)
- 3:30 - 4:30 PM (1 SPOT AVAILABLE) *
- This time slot is reserved for our GRYD students, a program focused on high-risk middle schoolers and gang prevention.
To receive a New Mentor Application - contact firstname.lastname@example.org -or- email@example.com for an application! Note: This volunteer experience is VIRTUAL only and will remain online for the academic school year.
- Have an electronic device with a camera and internet access
- Be a CA resident and 18 years or older
- Pass a criminal background check
- Provide two personal references
- Complete a 90-minute virtual mentor training
- Adhere to all program policies and procedures
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: