Age Minimum (with Adult): 10+, Minimum Age:10+
A Place Called Home Family Resource Depot - Providing Relief to Families in Need
Overview: A Place Called Home (APCH) has served South Central youth and families with its life-changing programs for more than 27 years. During these uncertain times, one thing is for sure: APCH is still here, resolved to serve our community in the midst of this crisis and beyond. In the face of the coronavirus emergency, APCH quickly mobilized to respond to urgent and ongoing needs of youth and families that were already struggling with poverty.
Since temporarily suspending regular operations on our campus, we launched (in addition to virtual programming, tutoring and mental health counseling): The APCH Family Resource Depot (or FRD) to deliver groceries, household necessities, hygiene products, books and more to local families in need. Our FRD initiative provides hundreds of families with thousands of pounds of fresh produce and other essentials weekly. This is where our wonderful APCH volunteers come in!
Project Description: Volunteers sort and pack fresh produce and canned food into bags, which we then load into trucks for delivery to APCH families. Volunteers also unload and unpack boxes of food and supply deliveries. The APCH team guides volunteers throughout the morning. This is an active day that includes lifting, bending, long periods of standing and a mixture of indoor and outdoor work.
See it in action: FRD Media Highlights from L.A. This Week and ABC 7
- 08/26/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 09/02/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 09/09/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 09/16/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 09/23/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 09/30/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 10/07/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 10/14/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 10/21/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 10/28/20: 8:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- Volunteers must be 10 years or older; volunteers younger than 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- All volunteers must complete a volunteer waiver (provided to volunteers upon confirmation for this project) prior to volunteering at APCH
- Volunteer activities will include extended periods of standing, moving and lifting
- Attire: This will be an active day. We recommend wearing comfortable clothing and athletic shoes or boots. Activities will primarily take place indoors, but may include some outdoor time. We recommend wearing layers and packing sunscreen or a hat if you are sensitive to the sun.
- APCH has implemented workplace safety guidelines (provided to volunteers upon confirmation for this project), which are aligned with health and safety best practices for APCH staff, volunteers and visitors
- APCH staff will conduct symptoms questioning with individuals prior to their volunteer day and upon their arrival to the APCH campus. These questions will review:
- if the individual -- or anyone with whom the individual has been in close contact -- has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days, or has experienced symptoms commonly associated with COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, unexplained fatigue or muscle/body aches, etc.) within the past 14 days
- if the individual has traveled outside of the state of CA within the past 14 days
All volunteers participating in this volunteer opportunity should adhere to the health and safety guidelines outlined here: https://www.laworks.com/health-and-safety
By clicking “express interest,” I acknowledge that I am aware and understand that I am being referred to Activities that are coordinated and managed by a third party Agency or Organization and that L.A. Works has no jurisdiction, control, or oversight over these Activities. The Activities may be inherently dangerous and may expose me to a variety of foreseen and unforeseen hazards and risks including exposure to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (“COVID-19”). The Activities may involve a degree of contact with clients who need assistance and other volunteers who may be carriers of COVID-19 and that personal protective equipment may not be available for my use and/or effective against preventing transmission of COVID-19 whether as a result of my own actions or otherwise. By clicking “express interest,” I acknowledge that I am voluntarily participating in the Activities and have considered those risks. I hereby expressly and specifically assume such risks, including any and all risk of injury, illness, harm, or loss that I may incur as a result of my participation in the Activities. I hereby fully and forever release and discharge L.A. Works from, and expressly waive, any and all liability, claims, and demands of whatever kind or nature, either in law or in equity, that may arise from my participation in the Activities.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: