Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
⚙︎ Prep Grocery Pickup for Low Income Families with LA Mas
WHAT: Help prepare LA Mas' Northeast LA Mercadito program and assist families as they pick up fresh produce.
ABOUT L.A. MAS: LA Mas is committed to building initiatives that promote neighborhood resilience and elevate the agency of working-class communities of color. Their newly-launched Northeast LA Mercadito program sees 100 families being provided fresh and free produce items weekly.
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES: As part of the Northeast LA Mercadito Program, you will help set up the weekly food pickup, sort through produce to ensure families recieve quality food supplies, and assist families as they come to pickup food. You will also help with cleanup and/or teardown after the program ends.
SHIFT-SPECIFIC VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- 12-3 Shift: Help set up program/different food packages for families at beginning of shift
- 3-5 Shift: Help tear down market at end of program
IMPACT: With volunteers’ help, community members are able to keep coming back to a reliable food source should it not be available in their home. Many community members that arrive to LA Mercadito are regulars and rely on the produce they provide to feed their families.
Volunteers must wear the following or they cannot participate:
- Face Mask or Face Shield
- Closed-toe shoes
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Any volunteer under the age of 18 will need to bring and have signed by a parent/guardian a Volunteer Agreement & Release for Minors.
- No cameras - pictures are prohibited
- Must provide at least 48 hours of notice if you must cancel. We often have a waitlist--no-showing leaves us short-handed and isn't fair to our waitlist.
- Please park on these side streets: Gail, Blimp, Rich, or Pirtle. Please leave parking on Blake available for community/program participants. Do not park in front of driveways.
- Most Mercadito-served families are Spanish-speaking only, so please kindly ask others for help if you are assisting and do not speak Spanish.
QUESTIONS? Email the Opportunity Leader below.
WANT TO SIGN UP? Select the time/date you want below and click the Sign Up button!
*This project is managed by L.A. Works for L.A. Mas and is led by an L.A. Works Volunteer Project Leader. L.A. Works is a nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
All volunteers participating in this volunteer opportunity should adhere to the health and safety guidelines outlined here: https://www.laworks.com/health-and-safety
By clicking “sign up,” I acknowledge that I am aware and understand that I am signing up Activities that are coordinated and managed in conjunction with a third party Agency or Organization, and that L.A. Works has no jurisdiction over the site where these Activities take place. The site of these Activities may be inherently dangerous and may expose me to a variety of foreseen and unforeseen hazards and risks including exposure to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (“COVID-19”). The Activities may involve a degree of contact with clients who need assistance and other volunteers who may be carriers of COVID-19 and that personal protective equipment may not be available for my use and/or effective against preventing transmission of COVID-19 whether as a result of my own actions or otherwise. By clicking “sign up,” I acknowledge that I am voluntarily participating in the Activities and have considered those risks. I hereby expressly and specifically assume such risks, including any and all risk of injury, illness, harm, or loss that I may incur as a result of my participation in the Activities. I hereby fully and forever release and discharge L.A. Works from, and expressly waive, any and all liability, claims, and demands of whatever kind or nature, either in law or in equity, that may arise from my participation in the Activities.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: