Altadena Farmers' Market No-Contact Market
Quick Overview: Volunteers are needed to help with our no-contact distribution of food to our customers and low-income senior free box recipients.
Mission or Broader Program Description: Our goal is to make healthy food accessible in the food desert of West Altadena.
Impact: Many of our customers are immune-compromised and don't feel comfortable shopping in conventional grocery stores. Our market offers a safe alternative for purchasing fresh produce. Additionally, we offer 30 free produce boxes weekly to low-income seniors and EBT recipients who can't use their CalFresh cards at the market.
Volunteer Roles and Responsibilities: Our volunteers assist with the following:
- Setting up tents and tables for the market
- Alphabetizing customer order sheets
- Filling customer orders
- Delivery orders to customers' trunks for no-contact distribution
- Breaking down tents and tables
Requirements: This opportunity is for volunteers 18 years old or older. We work outdoors, under canopies, all day.
Additional Details: The Market provides water, lunch and scheduled breaks for all volunteers who are with us over four hours.
Accessibility: Wheelchair ramps are available for volunteers.
· All vendors separated by 12 feet
· No customer shopping – the current option is pickup only. Items have been prepaid.
· No-contact deliveries allowed
· Pickups are dropped in customers’ trunks. Customers do not leave their cars.
· Employees are assigned to specific vendors, and remain over 6 feet from each other.
· No musicians or other entertainment
· No food preparation on site
· No handling of cash or market scrips
· Hand washing station (will purchase a new one if we can't access the shed)
· Public restroom with hand washing sinks
· Available sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer, Lysol spray and gloves
· Frequent sanitizing of surfaces.
· Staff reminded to change their gloves and wash hands frequently
· Signs posted regarding State and County protocols
All volunteers participating in this volunteer opportunity should adhere to the health and safety guidelines outlined here: https://www.laworks.com/health-and-safety
By clicking “Sign Up,” I acknowledge that I am aware and understand that I am being referred to Activities that are coordinated and managed by a third party Agency or Organization and that L.A. Works has no jurisdiction, control, or oversight over these Activities. The Activities may be inherently dangerous and may expose me to a variety of foreseen and unforeseen hazards and risks including exposure to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (“COVID-19”). The Activities may involve a degree of contact with clients who need assistance and other volunteers who may be carriers of COVID-19 and that personal protective equipment may not be available for my use and/or effective against preventing transmission of COVID-19 whether as a result of my own actions or otherwise. By clicking “Sign Up,” I acknowledge that I am voluntarily participating in the Activities and have considered those risks. I hereby expressly and specifically assume such risks, including any and all risk of injury, illness, harm, or loss that I may incur as a result of my participation in the Activities. I hereby fully and forever release and discharge L.A. Works from, and expressly waive, any and all liability, claims, and demands of whatever kind or nature, either in law or in equity, that may arise from my participation in the Activities.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: