Green Dot Public Schools National Mentorship Program, Volunteer Mentor
Become a mentor for K-12 students.
The Green Dot Public Schools National Mentorship Program seeks to transform public education by empowering every one of our students to recognize and reach their full potential. We do this by ensuring that students develop expanded career aspirations, a powerful and supportive professional network, and a clear post-secondary plan for success in college, leadership, and life.
By providing guidance, accountability, and knowledge, your role is to support your mentee in career exploration, self-discovery, and social-emotional development. As a mentor, you are consistent, culturally responsive, and prepared to push your thinking and the thinking of your mentee. We ask that you prioritize this relationship and be a consistent presence while mentees learn to navigate this program.
VOLUNTEER ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES: As a mentor, you will
- Take the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship
- Provide a model for a healthy, trusting relationship through clear communication and setting appropriate boundaries
- Acknowledging their strengths, talents, and gifts and encouraging them to find ways to use them.
- Assist mentee in goal setting and support them to work toward accomplishing them
- Make the full commitment for the duration of the program, September - May.
- Communicate with mentees by engaging in direct messaging, responding to at least 3-5 students weekly via the mentoring platform
- Participate in monthly video conferences with mentee(s) via the mentoring platform.
- Attend initial equity and mindset training in addition to attending two more equity trainings during the program year and an additional mindset training.
- Attend mentor/mentee group events, mentor support groups, and program recognition events.
- Relationship with a future leader of your company
- Opportunity to contribute to the community and young people
- Personal ongoing support, supervision to help the match succeed
- Equity training
- Increased employee engagement
To be a mentor you must complete and meet certain requirements.
- Some experience working with youth
- Have participated in at least one volunteer experience
- At least two years of experience working in the professional field
- The complete application process, consisting of a written application and potential interviews references (if applicable)
- Background check
- Attend mentor training
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Written application via a digital platform
- Criminal history check: state, child abuse, and neglect registry, sexual offender registry
This is a virtual program and will not require any on-site visits.
Please check out the Green Dot National Mentorship Program website for more information!
Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: