About HandsOn Tech: HandsOn Tech (HOT), a partnership between Points of Light and Google, is a program that seeks to provide free technology trainings and coaching to nonprofits serving low-income communities. Twenty-eight AmeriCorps VISTAs placed in eight cities will engage skilled volunteers to provide a series of one-time workshops on tech topics for nonprofits, as well as more in-depth coaching and implementation for NPOs especially in need of assistance.
Position Description: Skilled volunteers who wish to devote more time to a deep dive implementation project with a nonprofit are a perfect fit for the technology coaching portion of the HandsOn Tech program. As a Nonprofit Technology Coach, you will work with a nonprofit organization we have selected that stands to benefit most from such assistance. We will work with small but driven organizations to identify their needs and how technology and media can move their mission forward. You will be paired with an organization whose needs match your unique skillset, and together we will plan and implement an approximately two-week to two-month long project to expand and sustain their capacity to serve those living in poverty. Some sample project ideas include:
- Cloud Migration
- Website Development
- Database/CRM Implementation
- Social Media Strategy Implementation
- Marketing Strategy Redesign
- Technology Grant Program Registration (e.g. Google for Nonprofits, Office 365)
- So much more!
Your expertise will be invaluable in designing the project that will have the greatest impact on your client organization. Projects need not be grandly scaled; even something as simple as a cloud-based calendar can make a world of difference.
- Expertise in the use of one or more of the tech tools listed above, or others that might be useful to a nonprofit.
- The desire to use this expertise to expand the ability of LA’s nonprofits to help those in need.
- The ability to make the time commitment agreed upon with HOT staff
- Successful project management skills
- Patience and open-mindedness
- Listen and observe
- Comfortable in an advising and guiding role
- Be prepared and organized for effective delivery of coaching sessions with nonprofit
- Set project goals and ensure project stays on track
- Be available for meetings and discussions with HOT staff as needed
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector is a plus
Equipment Requirements: Personal transportation. Any other equipment you deem appropriate for the coaching sessions.
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours per coaching session scheduled on a regular basis. The schedule is decided between the coach and the nonprofit. Coaches and HOT staff will also meet for check-in meetings through the project timeframe. Expectations regarding one another’s time, resources and the scope of the project will be clearly defined and agreed upon by both parties in partnership with HOTLA at the project’s start.
Time Frame: Coaching sessions will be scheduled between February and October 2014. Individual projects will span between approximately two weeks and two months.
Location: TBD. The coach and nonprofit can decide together where they would like to meet for their meetings. Phone calls and video conferences can also be an option for some of the meetings. In person is highly recommended for successful completion of projects.
Benefits: The benefits of donating your time as a skilled volunteer with HandsOn Tech Los Angeles include the knowledge that the skills and expertise you pass along will be used to improve the lives of thousands. L.A. Works’ network of nonprofits includes organizations that serve low-income communities throughout LA County, and your unique skillset will allow them to expand their reach and the quality of their services, and bring us that much closer to ending poverty. Additionally, you will build your skill-set in project management, meet diverse nonprofits throughout LA County and learn about essential elements of the nonprofit sector. And of course, you’ll get that warm, fuzzy feeling of helping out the community!
Application Procedure: If you are interested in becoming a volunteer Nonprofit Technology Coach at L.A.Works, please email the project leader.
If your schedule would be more suited to organizing and delivering individual 1-2 hour workshops on specific tech topics, please visit the L.A. Works Technology Workshop Leader opportunity.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Technology, Civic & Community
- Population Served: Animals, Families, Homeless, Low-income Communities, People with Disabilities, People with Health-Based Concerns, Immigrants, Refugees or Ethnic Groups, LGBT(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,Transgender), Military/Veterans, Offenders/Ex-offenders, Visitors & Travelers
- Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+, Skills: Data Base, Extranet and Intranet, IT Architecture, IT Strategy, Web Technology, Network Admin, Social Networking Tools, Technology Help Desk, Videos & Animation Tools, Web Techno Architecture, Techno System Analyses & Reco., Social Networking (FB, Twitter, etc...)
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: