Ready to use music as a tool for social transformation? Sign up as a MusicWorks Teaching Assistant and we’ll match your profile to an amazing nonprofit organization so you can do what you love most: make great music for an even greater cause.
MusicWorks Teaching Assistants are responsible for coaching beginning, intermediate or advanced instrumental, vocal or songwriting pedagogy for any of our partners from the MusicWorks’ nonprofit network. He or she will ensure the highest quality personal and musical experience for our partner’s students; implement a curriculum set by the assigned institution and collaborate with other Teaching Artists to support each child holistically. He or she will be an advocate of music as a tool for social transformation, helping facilitate community and family involvement.
As a MusicWorks Teaching Assistant, responsibilities includes:
- Work closely with lead teaching artist in implementing the curriculum, pedagogy, and culture of our partner organization.
- Assist class by tuning instruments, playing in the section, taking students out for sectionals, leading ensemble(s) during classes or concerts, check-in and check- out procedures, etc.
- Ensure the utmost safety and security of each child of the program while working, especially students in his/her care at all times, in and out of the classroom
- Communicate consistently with staff, fellow teaching artists, parents, and students in order to serve and support each child holistically. Communicate consistently with staff, fellow teaching artists, parents, and students in order to serve and support each child holistically.
Desires skills and qualifications
- Strong knowledge of instrumental technique
- Previous teaching experience is highly valued.
- Passion for music and music education.
- The willingness to support the teaching process with a focus on the creative learning process, emphasizing striving over achieving.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, ability to work effectively with a range of constituencies in a diverse community and willingness to collaborate with and learn from one’s colleagues.
- Strong commitment to use music as a tool for social transformation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
READY TO BECOME A TEACHING ASSISTANT?
(Express Interest below)
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Arts & Culture
- Population Served: Families, Low-income Communities
- Activity Type: Tutoring,Mentoring/Youth Development
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: