Formed in 1925, Department of Cultural Affairs promotes arts and culture as a way to ignite a powerful dialogue, engage LA’s residents and visitors, and ensure LA’s varied cultures are recognized, acknowledged, and experienced.
Event Description: CURRENT:LA Water is looking for passionate art enthusiasts to assist in Los Angeles’ first citywide Public Art Biennial taking place in summer, 2016. Get an insider's look at the exhibitions while educating others about the artists and their mission to create awareness about societal struggles we see in our city.
CURRENT artist Kerry Tribe’s 51-minute film will screen outdoors daily. Pre-screening talks will be held on Fridays at 7 p.m. featuring experts from the Theodore Payne Foundation. In addition, attendees will discover native plants that once lined the shores of the LA River and the nonindigenous flora that now outnumber them.
KERRY TRIBE - "Exquisite Corpse" (b. 1973, Boston, MA; lives and works in LA) has had solo exhibitions at 356 Mission, Los Angeles; The Power Plant in Toronto; Modern Art Oxford, United Kingdom; and Camden Arts Centre, London.
Volunteer Role & Responsibilities:
- Learn about the artist and the work to provide visitors with background about the exhibition.
- Learn about and provide information on the overall biennial, upcoming events, and artist/site locations.
- Welcomes and guides attendees to the artworks, assists with lighting and way finding when necessary.
- Check-in guests, manage event capacity, maintain grounds, and let Site Coordinator know if there are any problems.
- Assists with parking as necessary, identifies site needs, replaces items as necessary, and checks signage for repairs.
Time Commitment: Volunteers are asked to commit to the entire shift.
Requirements: Searching for those with an interest in and knowledge of art, and those who are passionate about civic advocacy, the environment, with an interest in volunteering management.
Benefits: Prime seating for the film, some free CURRENT:LA Water swag (t-shirt etc.), and plenty of water to keep you hydrated.
* This project is managed and led by our nonprofit partner. L.A. Works is a nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Arts & Culture
- Population Served: Other
- Activity Type: Administrative Support/Clerical,Event Organizing,Public Relations/Marketing
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 11+, Minimum Age:18+
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: