WHO: Los Angeles Public Library Adult Literacy Program provides adult learners with volunteer tutors and instructors who help them improve their English literacy and meet a wide variety of personal goals from finding a better job to reading books, newspapers, and medicine labels. WHAT: Community volunteers are needed to work one-on-one with adult learners at least twice a week for 90 minutes. They ask for a minimum commitment of 6 months.
WHEN: time is flexible
WHERE: Locations throughout LA (we have 73 libraries). Find the one nearest you!
WHY: Nearly one million adults in Los Angeles lack basic literacy or English language skills needed to achieve personal or professional goals.
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy
REQUIREMENTS: Must have a high school diploma and basic computer skills
* This project is managed and lead by our nonprofit partner. L.A. Works is nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Adult Education, Adult Education
- Population Served: Families, Immigrants, Refugees or Ethnic Groups
- Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Additional Dates for this Event
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: