MLK Jr. Day of Service is a powerful day of activism and reflection. On MLK Jr. Day 2018, L.A. Works brings the spotlight to Lincoln High, a landmark in Los Angeles' own history of Civil Rights Activism. The movement that Dr. King sparked to bring greater equality to America and to ensure civil rights for all people regardless of race, found its voice in LA in the and 1960s when 5000 students from Wilson, Garfield, Roosevelt, Belmont, and Lincoln High spearheaded a movement to stop discrimination against Mexican-American youth in public schools. This upcoming January, we’ll honor MLK Jr’s legacy by restoring and beautifying Lincoln High, an institution serving some of the most vulnerable beneficiaries of the DREAM Act, in hopes that our contribution will dignify a space in which all Americans are seen as equals.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities: Join the MLK Day 2018 Event Crew and engage in behind-the-scenes work to prepare for the big day and keep the event running smoothly. We're looking for volunteers to help with pre-event logistics and/or on the day of in the morning and/or afternoon. This is a great opportunity to do with a group!
Optional Pre-Event Duties Week of Event: Times are flexible and can be based on your schedule. These duties will take place at the L.A. Works Headquarters in Cypress Park.
- Gathering event materials in office
- Ordering/making signs
Day of Event Duties:
- Set up tables and chairs and signage (banners)
- Manage registration table (sign in volunteers), volunteer assignments, t-shirts, media
- Crowd control and organizational assistant
- Floater to provide volunteers with information
- Manage breakfast set up and delivery
- Manage lunch set up and delivery
- Clean up
Training: Not required but highly encouraged in order to feel comfortable on that day of MLK Day 2018. Training dates TBD.
Minors: Volunteers under the age of 18 must have their parent or guardian sign the Minor Release Form.
- Be part of putting together Los Angeles' largest MLK DAY service and gain experience in event planning
- Lunch is provided
- Proof of service hours can be provided
Questions? Email the Opportunity Leader below. If you would like to volunteer for this opportunity, please click on the SIGN UP button.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- Issue Area(s): Civic & Community
- Age Minimum (with Adult):8+, Minimum Age:18+
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: