Public Health AmeriCorps Member Coordinators
About the role: AmeriCorps and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention joined forces to launch Public Health AmeriCorps to support the recruitment, training, and development of the next generation of public health leaders who will be ready to respond to the nation’s public health needs.
We are looking for two Public Health AmeriCorps Member Coordinators that will support each other in helping L.A. Works build our new Public Health AmeriCorps (PHAC) program. These roles will provide onboarding, recruitment, and personal and professional development programming for PHAC members, focusing on fellowship and team-building for full-time and reduced-half-time members.
**Applicants without previous AmeriCorps experience or knowledge are still encouraged to research the program and apply.**
Essential job functions: The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all roles listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Develop and implement a strategy to recruit 90 AmeriCorps members for organizations addressing pressing public health issues around LA;
- Manage relationships between Public Health AmeriCorps (PHAC) members and partner organizations;
- Develop a member succession plan for PHAC members as they transition from one cohort of members to the next;
- Recruit, interview and screen all L.A. Works PHAC members;
- Ensure PHAC member compliance of program through regular trainings and reporting sessions;
- Create and implement orientation and training for PHAC members;
- Provide opportunities for professional and personal development for PHAC members;
- Evaluate PHAC members through formal monthly monitoring and reviews;
- Utilize CRM database (Salesforce) for efficient tracking, reporting, record keeping and data management; and
- Provide general office support alongside the Programs Department.
- Knowledge of the nonprofit sector and/or the AmeriCorps Program;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling multiple relationships;
- Comfortable with public speaking and delivering trainings;
- Ability to be creative and resourceful to develop new, unique programs and initiatives; and
- Willingness to collaborate and work across departments.
- Initiate NSWOP and criminal history check prior to hire;
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation for travel around Los Angeles;
- Participate in an L.A. Works Taskforce (an organization-wide, collaborative team); and,
- Support L.A. Works large-scale signature events and other all-organization wide needs.
This job description doesn't constitute a contract of employment and L.A. Works may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Reporting: These positions report to the Public Health AmeriCorps Program Manager.
L.A. Works strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive Los Angeles. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Time expectations and salary: These are full-time, grant-funded positions. Targeted hiring salary is $48,000. Salary commensurate with experience and internal equity. L.A. Works offers a competitive benefit package including health insurance, professional development opportunities, a non-match 401k, and generous time-off. This job description doesn't constitute a contract of employment and that the company may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
COVID-19 safety: L.A. Works requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exceptions as required by law. New hires working at L.A. Works must be fully vaccinated no later than 60-days after hire. All employees are also required to submit to additional masking and social distancing requirements.
To apply: Please email a cover letter describing why you are a good fit for either of these roles, along with your resume and a list of references, as a single PDF document to email@example.com.
Background check: As a finalist for a job, you will be subject to a routine background check. The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with L.A. Works.