Public Health AmeriCorps Manager
About the role: AmeriCorps and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention joined forces to launch Public Health AmeriCorps to support the recruitment, training, and development of the next generation of public health leaders who will be ready to respond to the nation’s public health needs.
The Public Health AmeriCorps Manager will help launch L.A. Works’ new Public Health AmeriCorps (PHAC) program, spearheading its administration, management, and development. This individual will provide day-to-day management and oversight of the PHAC program, overseeing PHAC program coordinators and working closely with L.A. Works’ Director of AmeriCorps - State and National, VISTA, to implement the AmeriCorps-approved program design.
**Applicants without previous AmeriCorps experience or knowledge are still encouraged to research the program and apply.**
Essential job functions: The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all roles listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Manage relationship and detailed reporting of AmeriCorps State and National grants;
- Recruit Host Site locations, secure contracts, and maintain program management;
- Develop and maintain strategic, long-term relationships with Host Sites and program partners;
- Develop and operationalize application process for projects, members, and partners;
- Ensure compliance of program through regular trainings and reporting;
- Supervise PHAC program coordinators and maintain accountability to AmeriCorps program;
- Provide ongoing training and support for program coordinators’ professional and personal development;
- Utilize CRM database (Salesforce) for efficient tracking, reporting, record keeping and data management;
- Evaluate staff, Host Sites, and overall program through formal monthly monitoring and reviews; and
- Help recruit, interview, and screen L.A. Works Public Health AmeriCorps members.
- Knowledge of the nonprofit sector and/or the AmeriCorps Program;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities;
- Comfortable with public speaking and delivering trainings;
- Ability to be creative and resourceful to develop new, unique programs and initiatives; and
- Willingness to collaborate and work across departments.
- Initiate NSWOP and criminal history check prior to hire (required);
- Valid driver’s license (required) and access to reliable transportation for travel around Los Angeles;
- Participate in an L.A. Works Taskforce (an organization-wide, collaborative team); and
- Support L.A. Works large-scale signature events and other all-organization wide needs.
This job description doesn't constitute a contract of employment and L.A. Works may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of AmeriCorps - State and National, VISTA.
L.A. Works strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive Los Angeles. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Time expectations and salary: This is a full-time, grant-funded position. Targeted hiring salary is $54,000. Salary commensurate with experience and internal equity. L.A. Works offers a competitive benefit package including health insurance, professional development opportunities, a non-match 401k, and generous time-off. This job description doesn't constitute a contract of employment and that the company may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
COVID-19 safety: L.A. Works requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exceptions as required by law. New hires working at L.A. Works must be fully vaccinated no later than 60-days after hire. All employees are also required to submit to additional masking and social distancing requirements.
To apply: please email a cover letter describing why you are a good fit for this role, along with your resume and a list of references, as a single PDF document to email@example.com.
Background Check: As a finalist for a job, you will be subject to a routine background check. The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with L.A. Works.