Become a VISTA at L.A. Works!
Kickstart a nonprofit career with our AmeriCorps VISTA program, Volunteer Corps. As a member of the L.A. Works' Volunteer Corps, you'll be placed at one of our nonprofit partner organizations for one calendar year and tasked with capacity building activities. As a VISTA, you will serve as a full-time volunteer with a mission to lift communities out of poverty through supporting local organizations expand their capacity to make change.
- Living Allowance - Members receive a modest bi-weekly allowance to cover basic expenses
- Professional Development Training - In-person and virtual trainings are available to members to learn how to be a community development change agent with guidance
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) - Members have edge in the federal hiring process because AmeriCorps VISTA is the only AmeriCorps program that allows members to earn federal non-competitive eligibility.
- End of Service Award - Choose between a Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,000) to pay for a range of education expenses -or- a $1,800 cash stipend
Responsibilities can be
- Conduct needs assessment of organization and the community
- Research and develop new potential programs
- Improve outreach efforts and methods
- Evaluate current sustems for improvement
- Support fundraising efforts
- Grant research and writing
- Develop volunteer infrastructure
- Recruit community members and volunteers
Throughout the course of the year, you will grow professionally within an innovative, highly respected L.A.-based organization. L.A. Works provides ongoing trainings through monthly meetings and leadership opportunities.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Able to committ full-time for 12 months
- Prior community service experience preferred
Non Profit Interest Areas
- Children and Youth Education
- Family Services
- Hunger and Homelessness
- Justice and Legal Service