GIVE BACK | END POVERTY | STRENGTHEN COMMUNITIES
AmeriCorps VISTA - Volunteer Corps at L.A. Works
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program dedicated to ending poverty by building the capacity of nonprofit organizations and public agencies. VISTA’s mission is to strengthen and supplement efforts in low-income communities to eliminate and alleviate poverty by engaging volunteers from all walks of life, all geographical areas, and all age groups in a year of fulltime service.
By joining Volunteer Corps at L.A. Works, you will be placed with one of our nonprofit partner organizations to serve for 12 months and tasked with a capacity-building project such as: creating sustainable systems to expand services, recruiting community members to volunteer in local programs, establishing a database of program alumni, and/or developing partnerships to bring new economic opportunities in LA county.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA
- Living Allowance - Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses.
- Relocation Allowance - If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
- End of Service Award - Choose between the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,095) to pay for education expenses or a cash stipend ($1,800).
- Healthcare Benefit - Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.
- Professional Development - Receive in-person and virtual professional development opportunities from L.A. Works and AmeriCorps VISTA throughout the year.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) - Qualify for NCE, a unique hiring path that makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
- Child Care - You may be eligible to recieve a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
- Be 18 years or older
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citenzship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classfications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status
Choose Where To Serve
We've partnered with 8 organizations for the August 2019-August 2020 VISTA term. Each nonprofit partner organization is working on alleviating poverty with programs and services focused on either capacity building, education, economic opportunities, or healthy futures.
- Children's Institute, Inc
- People Assisting The Homeless
- Sprouts of Promise
- Step Up On Second
- Young Storytellers
How To Apply?
Submit your resume to VolunteerCorps@laworks.com or apply directly on our nonprofit partner's MyAmeriCorps listing.
Questions? Email VolunteerCorps@laworks.com
Are you with a nonprofit interested in hosting a VISTA member for the November 2019 cohort? Email Alisha Cathirell , Volunteer Corps Manager.
Are you a current Volunteer Corps member? Click here to access our Volunteer Corps Resource Center