Join AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer Corps at L.A. Works in the fight against poverty
VISTA’s Mission is to strengthen and supplement efforts in low-income communities to eliminate and alleviate poverty by engaging volunteers from all walks of life, all geographical areas, and all age groups in a year of fulltime service.
HOW IT WORKS
AmeriCorps VISTA places individuals with nonprofit organizations, public agencies, and tribal governments to expand reach and deepen impact in making sustainable change that alleviates the impact of poverty. Through fundraising, volunteer recruitment, program development, and more, AmeriCorps members gain experience and leadership skills that put them on track for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
By joining Volunteer Corps at L.A. Works, you will be placed with one of our nonprofit partner organizations to serve for 12 months and tasked with a capacity-building project such as: creating sustainable systems to expand services, recruiting community members to volunteer in local programs, establishing a database of program alumni, and/or developing partnerships to bring new economic opportunities in LA county.
- Living Allowance - Bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic living expenses.
- Relocation Allowance - If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
- End of Service Award - Choose between the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,495) to pay for education expenses or a cash stipend ($1,800).
- Healthcare Benefit - Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.
- Professional Development - Receive in-person and virtual professional development opportunities from L.A. Works and AmeriCorps VISTA throughout the year.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) - Qualify for NCE, a unique hiring path that makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
- Child Care - You may be eligible to receive a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
BECOME A HOST
AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers are preparing today’s students for tomorrow’s jobs, helping communities and families impacted by COVID-19, connecting veterans to services, fighting the opioid epidemic, helping seniors live independently, rebuilding communities after disasters, and leading conservation and climate change efforts. Through a unique public-private partnership, AmeriCorps and its partners generated more than $63.1 million in outside resources from businesses, foundations, public agencies, and other sources in California last year. This local support strengthened community impact and increased the return on taxpayer dollars.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit, L.A. Works Volunteer Corps AmeriCorps VISTA members have built capacity across 18 organizations resulting in:
- 3,900+ VOLUNTEERS MOBILIZED
- 6,750+ VOLUNTEER HOURS SERVED
- 275+ SYSTEMS UPDATED
- $50,000+ RAISED IN FUNDRAISING