GIVE BACK | END POVERTY | STRENGTHEN COMMUNITIES
AmeriCorps VISTA - Volunteer Corps at L.A. Works
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program dedicated to ending poverty by building the capacity of nonprofit organizations and public agencies. VISTA’s mission is to strengthen and supplement efforts in low-income communities to eliminate and alleviate poverty by engaging volunteers from all walks of life, all geographical areas, and all age groups in a year of fulltime service.
By joining Volunteer Corps at L.A. Works, you will be placed with one of our nonprofit partner organizations to serve for 12 months and tasked with a capacity-building project such as: creating sustainable systems to expand services, recruiting community members to volunteer in local programs, establishing a database of program alumni, and/or developing partnerships to bring new economic opportunities in LA county.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA
- Living Allowance - Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses.
- Relocation Allowance - If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
- End of Service Award - Choose between the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,095) to pay for education expenses or a cash stipend ($1,800).
- Healthcare Benefit - Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.
- Professional Development - Receive in-person and virtual professional development opportunities from L.A. Works and AmeriCorps VISTA throughout the year.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) - Qualify for NCE, a unique hiring path that makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
- Child Care - You may be eligible to recieve a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
- Be 18 years or older
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citenzship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classfications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status
Choose Where To Serve
We've partnered with 8 organizations for the August 2019-August 2020 VISTA term. Each nonprofit partner organization is working on alleviating poverty with programs and services focused on either capacity building, education, economic opportunities, or healthy futures.
- Children's Institute, Inc
- Do Good Bus
- People Assisting The Homeless
- Shoes That Fit
- Sprouts of Promise
- Step Up On Second
- Young Storytellers
We are also seeking a motivated AmeriCorps VISTA Leader here at L.A. Works to support Volunteer Corps. VISTA Leaders are former AmeriCorps VISTA members who have completed at least one term of full time service and have displayed exceptional leadership and passion for community service.
How To Apply?
Submit your resume to VolunteerCorps@laworks.com or apply directly on our nonprofit partner's MyAmeriCorps listing.
Questions? Email VolunteerCorps@laworks.com
Are you with a nonprofit interested in hosting a VISTA member for the November 2019 cohort? Email Denisse Alanis, Volunteer Corps Manager, Denisse.Alanis@laworks.com
Are you a current Volunteer Corps member? Click here to access our Volunteer Corps Resource Center